Beauregard MS                                            History                                          As of  22 July 2002

      P.G.T. Beauregard Middle School is located in the settlement of St. Bernard Parish on acreage formerly used by the government. 

      The historic courthouse pictured above was built in 1915 for the sum of $64,893. The property was donated to the parish by Vicente Nunez and was designed by the Freret brothers.  The courthouse served as the site of judicial business until 1939.

      1940 renovations began to convert the courthouse into a school. From 1940-1953 it was called St. Bernard School serving kindergarten to ninth grades.

      In 1953 the 10th grade was added.

      In 1954 the 11th grade was added.

      In 1955 the 12th grade was added and the first graduating class of St. Bernard High School was held in 1956.

      In 1959 the industrial arts and music departments were constructed.

      In 1966-1967 construction of two high schools (one in Chalmette, one in Poydras; St. Bernard High School renamed to P.G.T. Beauregard High School.

      In 1988 P.G.T. Beauregard High School become P.G.T. Beauregard Middle School.

      In January of 2000 a new building was built located in the back of the historical courthouse and that is where the school resides today.