Tours of Cabrini High School
The building at 3400 Esplanade was constructed in 1905 to serve as the Sacred Heart Orphanage. In 1959, when there was no longer a need for an orphanage, the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus decided to open a girls' high school, named for their foundress. Cabrini High School opened its doors in 1959 to 74 freshmen. By 1965, the new building at 1400 Moss Street was constructed and the entire school was moved to that location. In 1980, the Esplanade building was renovated to include offices and classrooms. Now the campus of Cabrini High School is comprised of both the Moss and the Esplanade buildings.
Located in the Esplanade building is the room
where Mother Cabrini lived and worked when she visited her
mission in New Orleans. Her bed, desk, chair, and many of her
personal belongings are in this room. The Sacred Heart Chapel,
also located in the Esplanade building, and Mother Cabrini's room
are open for touring. Three of the chapel's stained glass
windows are depicted above.
Personal and group tours of the shrine, chapel and/or school are available to individuals, schools and church groups by calling the Campus Minister at 483-8690.
Date Modified: 1/17/01