For Louisiana history and culture lovers like you
of the Cabildo is a private non-profit volunteer group that provides financial
and volunteer support for the Louisiana State Museum, its projects and
its property. Since incorporating in 1956, the Friends of the Cabildo has
grown into a large statewide membership organization, a dynamic and motivating
force in broadening and supporting the aims of the Louisiana State Museum.
has a history and culture as rich and as exciting as it is complex.
The Cabildo on Jackson Square
Louisiana State Museum collects, preserves, and exhibits the art documents,
and artifacts which reflect that history and culture, and comprise the
state's collective memory.
In the New Orleans Vieux Carre', the Louisiana State
Museum maintains and operates the following:
- The Cabildo, Presbytere and the Lower Pontalba (on
- Madame John's Legacy (632 Dumaine Street)
- The Old U.S. Mint (400 Esplanade Avenue)
- The Arsenal, Jackson House, and the Creole House
(enter 619 St. Peter Street).
The Wedell-Williams Memorial Aviation Museum of Louisiana
in Patterson and the Old Courthouse Museum in Natchitoches are recent additions
to the Louisiana State Museum.
Join your friends and fellow enthusiasts
in the Friends of the Cabildo
What do Friends of the Cabildo do?
Friends of the Cabildo ...
- Provide significant annual monetary support to the Museum
for its education and exhibition programs
- Maintain an active volunteer
program that suppements the Museum's professional staff
- Operate the 1850
House Museum Store on Jackson Square
- Give daily walking tours of the French
Quarter for tourists and special groups
- Publish a series of distinguished
award-winning architectural books on the historic districts of New Orleans
- Maintain an unique oral history project comprised of taped interviews with
interesting citizens on a wide range of topics
- Offer a comprehensive training
program for walking tour guides and docents
- Organize annual events such
as Ghostly Galavant and Creole Christmas which raise monies for the Museum
and various projects of the Friends
- Give daily year-round tours of the
1850 House Museum
What do you get for your support?
- Free admission to all public Louisiana State Museum buildings
- Invitations to exhibition previews and special showings
- Invitations to and discounts on cultural programs
and special events
- Friends of the Cabildo quarterly publication
- 20% discount at the Museum Store, 523 St. Ann Street on Jackson Square
- Volunteer opportunities
- Membership decal
- Free walking tour