History of the
First Presbyterian Church
of New Orleans
In November of 1993, The First
Presbyterian Church in New Orleans celebrated its 175th
anniversary. The origin was a public meeting on February 9, 1818
when a Donation List was opened to purchase a lot and build a
church. Gifts were pledged by prospective members and interested
citizens, and the City Council gave a lot and later $10,000.
First Presbyterian Church was the second protestant church formed
in the city, after Christ Church Episcopal. The cornerstone for
the original building on St. Charles Avenue between Union and
Gravier was laid on January 8, 1819.
The first minister, Rev. Sylvester Larned, recruited by Rev.
Elias Cornelius of the Connecticut Missionary Society, began
conducting services on January 22, 1818. An outstanding orator
and popular pastor citywide, Larned unfortunately died of yellow
fever in August of 1820 when only 24 years old. He was succeeded
by Dr. Theodore Clapp, whose unorthodox theology split the
congregation into several groups. Two of them broke off and later
joined together under the leadership of Dr. Joel Parker who
served First Church until 1838, and in 1835 presided over the
occupation of a magnificent new church on Lafayette Square. A
spectacular fire destroyed this edifice in October, 1854.
Rebuilding began immediately and services were held again in
November of 1857. The new building, in 14th Century Gothic style,
seated 1,311 persons and had a steeple 219 feet from the ground,
the highest in the city.
On September 29, 1915 a disastrous hurricane destroyed this
building except for rooms at the rear. Four hundred tons of
debris were carted off. As before, rebuilding was swift, but it
was decided to omit the upper portion of the spire.
The Church prospered from its earliest days and was served by
outstanding pastors and elders, portraits of whom can be seen in
Fellowship Hall. Chief among these was Dr. Benjamin Morgan
Palmer, pastor for 46 years. Palmer was a leader in civic as well
as religious affairs. He was an ardent southerner and was
influential in bringing Louisiana to secession and the
Confederacy. He also spearheaded the drive that put the infamous
Louisiana State Lottery out of business.
The congregation continued to worship on Lafayette Square
until Easter Sunday, April 17, 1938. The federal government had
indicated that it would like the site of the church for a new
federal office building and the congregation decided to sell. The
present site was purchased. Part of the agreement was that
furnishings and materials could be salvaged before the church was
torn down. These were incorporated into the new church uptown,
including the organ, bell, pews, the stained glass windows except
the one behind the altar, matching tables on the altar and in the
narthex, the four chairs on the altar, millwork on the rear choir
loft, and two plaques, one a memorial to the first preacher and
another listing all of the pastors and their years of service.
The congregation presently worships in this facility at the corner of South Claiborne and Jefferson Avenues in uptown New Orleans. The church and the Palmer Hall education building to its left were dedicated Easter Sunday, April 9, 1939. An addition to connect the education building to the rear of the sanctuary was dedicated December 15, 1985. The Gothic style buildings of butt brick with limestone trim, sit on an entire square, bounded by Octavia, Jefferson, Prieur and South Claiborne.