A Brief History of the Jefferson Amateur Radio Club

1956 - Six men organize Jefferson Amateur Radio Club on February 1 in the Jefferson Community Center at Jefferson Playground, set dues at 25 cents pet month and meetings on fourth Thursdays; Club incorporates June 28.

1957 -- Club station K5ISI goes on the air January 26; club affiliates with ARRL and co-sponsors New Orleans Hamfest with the Greater New Orleans Amateur Radio Club.

1958 -- Club handles television interference complaints from FCC.

1959 -- Sunday net on 3.950 mc. renamed "Jefferson Parish Net".

1960 -- Club settles in fire house at 4652 Calumet Street.

1961 -- Members adopt emblem; club moves to Metairie Playground.

1962 -- Al Lestelle's call, W5GAD, replaces K5ISI as JARC's call.

1963 -- Club buys novice station.

1964 -- Club adopts membership ratio of three Jefferson Parish residents to one non-parish resident.

1965 -- Vandals damage club equipment.

1966 -- Six meter net at 9:30 a.m. Sundays starts on 50.55 MHz.

1967 -- "Remember Betsy" Field Day June 22-23.

1968 -- JARC passes scores from Dixie Little League team on the road to officials in Metairie Playground.

1969 -- Club station is licensed for general class until Earl Barrilleaux, K5IZD, trustee, obtains his advanced ticket.

1970 -- JARC receives ARRL's unsolicited Public Service Award for communications after hurricane Camille hit the gulf coast Aug. 17, 1969.

1971 -- Board recommends limiting membership to 85.

1972 -- Members contribute to the "novice crystal bank".

1973 -- Senator Joseph Tiemann (W5DNU) and attorney general say hams won't have to pay $25 automobile "vanity license" fee for amateur call letter plates.

1974 -- Prices rise to 35 cents for beer and 20 cnets for soft drinks in the clubhouse.

1975 -- Club makes nation's leading multi-operator station score in ARRL's November Sweepstakes, working all states except Alaska.

1976 -- Jefferson Parish Civil Defense and Guatemala's president praise JARC for donating two weeks of communications after an earthquake hit that country February 4; 12 persons operated 370 hours for the disaster.

1977 -- Leon Lessard (WB5ZED) and Ray Crain (WB5VJI now KB5GA) remodel club house.

1978 -- W5GAD/R goes on air on 70 cm (444.000 +5) and 2 meters(147.885 -.600).

1979 -- Sid Wilson (WB5GFM) manages club's part in Navy MARS' Antartic "ICE" net Fridays during Navy Support Force's "Deep Freeze Winter-Over 1979".

1980 -- About 1,500 attend club's AMACOM '80 hamfest and computerfest.

1981 -- Florence Muleisen (K5PO) becomes club's first woman president.

1983 -- 40M Beam installed, now we have 20M, 15/10M and 40M Beams

1984 -- Club helps build and operate station K5WF for the 1984 New Orleans World's Fair.

1985 --

1986 --

1987 --

1988 -- Club's VHF/UHF repeaters are moved to East Jefferson General Hospital

1989 --

1990 -- A second VHF repeater on 145.37 -.600 is placed in service by the JARC at Southern Baptist Hospital (now Memorial Medical Center)

1991 -- Morse code station installed at Childrens Museum

1992 -- New roof installed on clubhouse

1993 -- Club updates Articles and bylaws, Membership hits 150

1994 -- Club tower rebuilt, now at 131' high

1995 -- Club spends over $2,000 fighting malicious interference.

1996 -- JARC-VEC begins electronically filing exam results. New call signs are being issued in as fast as one day.

1997 --Club purchases new all band radio, Emergency generator installed at clubhouse.