Collective Bargaining .
SUPPORT OF: Measures which regulate
collective bargaining in the public sector including a limited right to strike
with adequate provisions for mediation and arbitration.
- A single state comprehensive public labor management relations law with
local option covering all state and local employees.
- Public employees having a limited right to strike under the following
conditions (police, firemen, prison guards could not strike under any
It be demonstrated that collective bargaining in
good faith had taken place.
Impasse procedures such as mediation and
fact-finding had been completely utilized.
A designated number of days had elapsed since a
fact-finding board had made public its findings and recommendations.
The union give notice of intent to strike.
If the strike endangers public health or safety,
the court or regulatory agency could intervene.
If arbitration is utilized, a strike is legal if
the public employer or legislative body has failed to implement the
- Constitutional protection for the Merit principle; details of the system
provided for by statutes, not included in the constitution.
- Adoption of a local ordinance or executive order setting forth a labor
management relations policy for city employees and establishing orderly
procedures for administering the policy and dealing with disputes.
- Compulsory arbitration when impasse persists for employees forbidden to
OPPOSITION TO: Unlimited right to strike by