St. Joseph Catholic Church is the largest church in the South and one of the largest churches in the nation. Everything about it speaks of grandeur and massiveness: a foundation and structure comprised of 4,426,822 bricks (2 million bricks in the foundation alone, extending nearly a block from the church in each direction). Lofty ceilings of natural woods, in arches and ribbed ornamentation, are supported by eight grand columns of beautifully polished Missouri granite. Five high arches run along each side of the church, above which are 5 magnificent triple stained-glass windows. Above these windows and arches are ornate cornices, elegant friezes and bas-relief in flower and leaf design. The church seats 2000 people.
The interior of the church measures 100 x 200 feet, and 95 feet from floor to ceiling. The main aisle measures 12 feet wide x 150 feet long. The exterior of the building measures 100 x 225 feet, and 150 feet from ground to roof.
Begun in 1869, the church was dedicated on Sunday, December 18, 1892. Today it is conveniently located in the central business district, surrounded on three sides by the New Orleans Regional Medical Center, and a five minute walk from the Louisiana Superdome.
The church is open to visitors Mondays through Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Sundays one hour before the scheduled Masses.